Can My Dog Eat Grapes?

bowl of red and green grapes

You want to know if your dog can eat grapes? Let me simplify this so there’s no confusion. No. Your dog cannot eat grapes.

And no if’s, ands, or buts about it – ever. I’ve never had one single grape in all of my five years of living!

Let me explain why.

Your dog should never eat grapes. Consumption of grapes can lead to serious illness and in some cases even death. These consequences are primarily the result of acute kidney failure.

Do you remember me mentioning the “No Flight List” (scroll down for list) my humans talk about? Well, this is one of the foods you’ll find there. I’ve seen my human dive on the floor in dramatic fashion to recover her grape fumble before I could scoop it up more times than I can count.

Disclaimer: The Can My Dog articles contain information based on the individual research and opinions of the author of the site – who just so happens to be a dog. How you utilize the information given is completely up to you. Proceed at your own risk.

Why Your Dog Should Never Eat Grapes

This is actually a serious matter that is swept under the rug more times than not. Everybody knows that we can’t have chocolate – especially the super dark stuff; but not everybody knows how dangerous those little grape things are to us.

Did you know that just one single grape (or raisin, because, same thing but dried) could potentially devastate our health and well-being and in some cases even cause death.

What’s In a Grape That Is So Bad For Dogs?

Narrowing down the exact molecular make up responsible for grape toxicity in dogs remains unclear. Studies thus far have been able to rule out various pesticides, metals, and fungi as a culprit; but no other viable suspects are in custody.

Humans have also failed to understand why some dogs are susceptible to the toxicity of both grapes and raisins while others are seemingly left unaffected.

You know what this says to me? Run in the other direction when you see one of those little red or green balls, my fine furry little friends. Tuck your tail and scoot!

Signs and Symptoms That Your Dog Has Been Poisoned By a Grape

While the specific dosage amount warranting side affects is relative and fluctuates from dog to dog, you can still be on the lookout for the following symptoms:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Heavy Panting
  • Difficulties Breathing
  • Dry Mouth and Dry Nose
  • Light Colored Gums
  • Abdominal Pain (although, I never tell my humans when my belly hurts, I typically just go hide under the bed – so maybe lookout for that too.)
  • Sudden Renal Failure (the worst case scenario) – this inevitably leads to trouble peeing and possibly even death.

Check out this puppy case study published by the ASPCA: Leah’s Story.

If your dog seems to be suffering from any of the above, give the vet a call – PRONTO.

Are You Seriously Saying That Grapes Can Kill a Dog if They Eat One?

Yes. That’s exactly what I’m saying. Especially if we sneak some while your head is turned and it’s left untreated once symptoms arise. It’s simply not worth the gamble.

I have known dogs who have tasted a grape or two and are seemingly fine; but keep those little poison bombs away from me. I’m not tempting fate with the grape things.

Pet Poison Helpline

The fact that I’m adding a pet poison hotline to this grape blog should speak volumes here. Poison, humans, POISON. If you think we deserve a sweet little treat after we do something warranting a little positive reinforcement, then opt for a sweet potato snack. Most dogs love these, and they happen to be good for us too.

Oh, the helpline, I almost forgot. Here’s a direct link to the helpline and other information you would need:

This is a 24/7 emergency service. Just call +1 (855) 764-7661 and let them know what happened. The link above even has emergency instructions if your composed enough to actually read through them.

The ASPCA also has an Animal Poison Control helpline: +1 (888) 426-4435.

Find more information and latest news HERE.

The No Flight List – The Foods Your Dog CANNOT Eat

The following foods are harmful and some can even be fatal to us:

Chocolate: Contains caffeine and theobromine. These are methylxanthines. Highly toxic to us.

Milk: Contains milk sugar. We can’t properly break this down.

Cheese: Basically the same reason as milk, plus some fatty components we don’t want anything to do with.

Onion: Gross. These smell horrible. They also contain compounds that can hurt us in large amounts.

Macadamia Nuts: These have toxic chemicals that really smart scientists have yet to narrow down and specify, but trust me when I say that these belong on this list.

Garlic: These gross looking little things are even more toxic to us than onions. Definite no-no.

Grapes: I think we’ve covered this already.

Avocados: I’m not sure about this. I love avocados. I’m going to have to do more research here. Tread lightly in the meantime. *UPDATE: abort avocado consumption. Turns out they are actually bad for us.

Apple Cores: Good thing it’s just the core because I love a crispy apple in the morning. Apparently the core of an apple contains cyanide (scientific term: cyanogenic glycosides). These are also found in the pits and cores of plums, peaches, apricots, and pears.

Yeast Dough: I love bread. But this refers to RAW yeast dough. It can ferment in our bellies and become highly toxic.

Caffeine: Seeing my humans gives me all the kick start and joy I’ll ever need (*wink *wink)! Caffeine contains methylated xanthine, a stimulant we can’t have.

BACON: You read that correctly! I said it. BACON. It has too much fat in it for us. Remember the blog about cat food? This was one of the same reasons we can’t eat that either. High fatty foods can cause pancreatitis.


I know it’s hard not to fall victim to our sweet, adorable little puppy dog eyes. We do this on purpose, you know. It’s an evolutionary trait we’ve learned over time to get what we want from our humans.

My dog friends are going to kill me for letting you all in on this secret. We never talk about it because it works so well. We know you can’t resist.

Sometimes though, you MUST resist. Grapes and the “No Flight List” mentioned above are times when “no” is completely acceptable to us.

Here’s a quick link to a vegan dog’s no flight list, if you’re at all interested.

As always, Live, Love, Laugh, and Scratch our bellies…often!

Love you guys,


P.S. If you’re new to this world, you may want to check out my Ultimate Guide for First Time Dog Parents. It’s a great reference to get you started on this journey.

Related Questions

What Fruits Are Safe for My Dog to Eat?

Your dog can safely enjoy a long list of fruits. As a matter of fact, most fruits are safe for your dog – with the dramatic exception of a few (grapes and citrus fruits).

To expedite the process, I’ll list the “safe” fruits for your dog here:

  • Bananas
  • Watermelon
  • Berries (Blackberries, Blueberries, Raspberries, Strawberries)
  • Pineapple
  • Mango
  • Apples (Cored – Don’t allow your dog to eat apple seeds)

This list should satisfy your dog’s fruit cravings from time to time.

Pro tip: Try adding some cut up fruit to your dog’s food bowl in the morning for some extra vitamins and minerals plus a sweet treat!

How Soon Will My Dog Get Sick After Eating Grapes?

Grape (or raisin) toxicity will begin showing signs in your dog as soon as 24 hours after consumption. The most common early symptom being vomiting.

Other symptoms that can show up within the first 12-24 hours your dog eats grapes include:

  • Lethargy
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite

Again, resort to this helpline if your dog consumes grapes: Animal Poison Control helpline: +1 (888) 426-4435.

Recent Posts